Curry Chickpeas and Potatoes
This recipe is from our member Silvia, who used to do the master Smart Electrical Networks and Systems."This is a hearty, warm, and flavorful meal. It is a great student meal because the cost is low, and it is guaranteed that you will be satisfied. It stores well in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, making it appropriate for meal prep. It is a special meal for me because it reminds me of my first days in Eindhoven, I learned to make it by then."
- 1 medium onion minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp plant-based milk
- 2 tsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ⅓ cups water
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (this is just 1 can)
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 2 small yellow potatoes chopped into small chunks
- ½ juiced lemon
- 3 servings brown rice any other rice is also fine
- Boil water for the rice (add the rice once the water is boiling, but for now you can continue to the next step)
- Chop the onion, garlic, tomatoes and yellow potatoes
- In a medium nonstick pot over medium-high heat, sauté the onion,garlic, milk, curry powder, cayenne pepper, turmeric, black pepper,and salt in ⅓ cup of water, adding the water just a little at a time. Theconsistency will be thick.
- Add the remaining 1 cup of water,chickpeas, tomatoes, and potatoes. Stir until fully mixed, cover, andreduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer for 15 minutes, stirringfrequently.
- After 15 minutes, stir in the lemon juice and cover the pot. Simmer foranother 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft. Uncover and cookfor another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Storable in the refrigerator for up to 5 days